Tuesday, December 07, 2004

John Milton

John Milton's sonnet,

"On His Blindness,"

When I consider how my light is spent,
Ere half my days, in this dark world and wide,
and that one talent which is death to hide,
Lodged with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest he returning chide;
"Doth God exact day-labor, light denied?"
I fondly ask; but Patience to prevent
That murmur, soon replies, "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts; who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly. Thousands at his bidding speed
And post o'er land and ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait.

All the writings of Mr. Milton are found here free from Darthmouth's reading room.

Go and enjoy the poet, who is largely considered one of the five greatest English language poets.

For biographical information such as:

Dating also to 1637, his great pastoral elegy, Lycidas, held by most critics to be among the greatest examples of that form, expresses his grief over the loss of a college friend, Edward King. In this work, the attentive reader can begin to discern the great Christian faith that lies at the heart of Milton the poet and which serves as the core of his most celebrated works. The end of Lycidas, especially, resounds with a powerful expression of faith in resurrection and redemption.
Go here.